Wednesday 28 October 2015

MPM2D - Day 34: Median, Altitude & Perpendicular Bisector

We moved on from quadratics today, back into analytic geometry. We started with a quick review of finding the equation of a line, in a slightly different way. None of my students has found the equation of a line using anything other than y = mx + b, so I showed them how to use point-slope form: y = m(x - x1) + y1 and explained why I prefer it.


I asked what they noticed when I wrote:


While we were having this discussion I had a huge coughing fit and had to leave the room as I could neither talk nor breathe very well! A little water and a cough drop helped me continue, but I'm not really sure what I said beyond pointing out the similarities of these two equations. After the coughing fit I did take it one step further and showed them that the equation of any function can be written in this form - in other words, it's not going away. However, I also told them that if they would like to continue using y = mx + b to find the equation of a line, they are more than welcome to do so.

On to the meat of today's lesson:


We worked through an example of each, with emphasis on making a plan before diving in. I also had them draw each one and we checked the reasonableness of our answers at each step against the diagram.





Here is today's handout. I did not give homework as I want them to spend time working on their parabolic art.

No comments:

Post a Comment