Wednesday 8 April 2015

MFM2P - Day 39 (Solving Systems Day 2)

Today is another lesson study day for me. I will be planning a lesson with other teachers so I will blog about what should be happening in class in my absence.

The warm up is a visual pattern that is a little more involved than the others we have done so far as they have to find the rule for the surface area and volume.


I have left blocks for them to actually build the patterns in class as I think that will help them a lot. Here is what I did with it:



I'm not sure if there is a better way of working through surface area. Clearly I would not present it this way to my class and would have them work with the blocks to help them find the patterns, but I still feel that I am missing something.

The plan is then to have them work through some more examples of solving systems. Here is the handout.

Next up, Andrew Stadel's basketball 3-act which you can find here


Students will watch the video (act I) which will (hopefully) prompt some questions... How many points did he score? How many of each shot did he make? 

Act II looks like this:


I'm hopeful they will find a way of working through this in their groups on the big whiteboards. If there is time left they will do basketball part 2 (same site). I asked my substitute teacher to leave the students' work on the whiteboards so I may even get some pictures to post when I get back to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment