Wednesday 28 January 2015

Calculus - Day 1

Update: I turned this into a Desmos Activity Builder which you can find here.

Semester 2 begins on Monday and I want to do something interesting with my 2 calculus & vectors classes. I thought it would be good to have them "play" in Desmos for a class. I want them to have fun but for the work to be meaningful so this is what I came up with, very much in the spirit of Daily Desmos (which I have not contributed to for ages :(). I will randomly pair them up and have them recreate as much as they can of this:



Here is a picture of it in case you can't see the video:



They should all be able to correctly determine the equations of the curves, but the animation will be a much bigger challenge for them. I want them to see what is possible with Desmos, yet still within their reach.

I would love your feedback!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mary,
    I am teaching MCV4U for the first time in over 5 years starting Monday and came across this post. There was no Desmos when I taught it last, I love the idea of starting with a desmos activity to set the tone for the rest of the semester.
    Thanks so much for sharing all you do!

    ReplyDelete