Sunday 11 May 2014

Mother's Day

My mum has always been an incredible person. She was always there for me when I needed her when I was little. She sat with me through my tears when I wouldn't say what was wrong and gave hugs and support when she finally got it out of me. My mother has always been the kindest person. She is giving of herself and her time. She is a physiotherapist and truly cares for the whole person, not just the injured part of them. Her patients have always loved her.

My mum did not grow up in an ideal situation, but made the most of her life in many respects. But she changed. She did the bravest thing and left my father many years ago now. And it was like she became a new person. This was hard for me as she was no longer the person I had known my whole life. I understood that she was becoming her true self, but it was odd and difficult to feel somewhat like a stranger to her. I have gotten to know her again over time. She lost herself anew in 2005 when she fell and hit her head resulting in a traumatic brain injury. Noah, who was then a baby in my arms, is the only one who saw it happen. Although some memory issues still plague her, she was not about to let any of that keep her down. She continues to work and travel and helps out with my crew often.

Many, many people have said to me that they don't know how I do it. "It" being working full time while raising four little people and two dogs and doing a bunch of other mathy stuff on the side. My standard reply is "I just do." Growing up, my mum always worked and took care of us and the house and was on committees and ... This was my normal. I think I always want to be better at what I do, that I want to do more, because I had such a good role model.

My mum and I do not always agree and definitely have different views on some subjects, but we are connected at our cores. In many ways, I believe she is my biggest fan. And I am hers. All of the goodness in me comes from her. All of it. And as a mother myself, I strive (not always successfully) to be as kind and supportive to my children as she was to my brother and me. I feel very fortunate to have her in my life and that my kids have the most amazing Granny. 

Mum - we all love you, but me, most of all. Thank you for everything.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this lovely note, Mary. I'm not close to my mom for lots of reasons, but I still believe she's one of my biggest cheerleaders. So, YAY to our mums. xox

    ReplyDelete